Dear Teachers, Students, Parents, and Patrons of Sugar Salem,
This year the Parent Advisory Committee hopes, with the community’s help, to start a random act of kindness initiative ‘What Goes Around Comes Around–Pay It Forward!’. Similar to ‘Hello Week’ but with a twist. March and April tend to be long, full weeks of school. A great way to brighten this time of year is with selfless acts of service. What random acts of kindness could your family, your classrooms, clubs, and teams SEE, PLAN, and DO throughout the next couple of months?
The initial kickoff will be the first week of March. There are lots of ideas on the internet. Below are some additional ideas. Your acts of kindness need not be something that is costly or time consuming, but can be simple notes, smiles, hellos, invitations to sit at lunch, etc. Look for ways to share small, simple acts of service to let people know they are appreciated, needed, noticed, and loved. We anticipate that both givers and receivers will benefit from this experience.
Have fun and don’t stress! Please help those in your stewardship (especially the littles) identify when random acts of kindness have happened as they learn to recognize generosity and cultivate gratitude; maybe even pay it forward!
If you see, hear of, do, or experience any acts of kindness please share a quick message or picture with one of the parent advisory committee members or one of the school principals. You can also share your acts of kindness at http://payitforwardsugarsalem.weebly.com/.
We’d love to share with our community and students how their small acts can make a big difference.
- Leave money in a vending machine for someone
- Bake cookies for someone
- Pay for the person in the car behind you in the drive thru
- Do a 5k for a good cause
- Help at a veterinarian office
- Pick up litter in the school yards
- Let someone go in front of you in line
- Give a stranger a compliment
- Make dinner for a family in need
- Wash someone’s car
- Buy flowers/balloons to hand out on the street, new babies, or people in the store, or library
- Leave letters of encouragement on people’s cars
- Buy a movie ticket for the person behind you
- Pay for someone’s meal at a restaurant
- Write letters to soldiers and policemen
- Volunteer at the local Food bank (3rd Tues each month)
- Participate in a fundraiser
- Use your allowance to donate to a charity
- Hold doors open for people
- Thank a teacher with a gift or a note
- Donate your old clothes to the DI
- Help a senior with their groceries
- Draw positive chalk art on the sidewalk where kids walk to school
- Walk a neighbor’s dog
- Babysit for free
- Plant a tree
- Do a favor without asking for anything in return
- Make a family member breakfast in bed
- Leave “lucky” pennies on the sidewalks near elementary schools for kids to feel rich!
- Pay for a strangers library fees
- Have your classroom make a poster/notes for another class.
- Surprise ‘Heart Attack’ someone in your school/ neighborhood that needs a lift.
- Read with a younger classroom or grade. Read a book with anyone!
- Make sure nobody plays alone at recess
- Pen pal letters with a different grade/class
- Send your child with a special treat/ or note/ or picture to give to someone they notice that needs one
Thank you, in advance, for helping bring a little more happiness and hope to our district by encouraging selfless acts of kindness. We look forward to spontaneous, and planned random acts that will ensure March and April will be the BEST months at Sugar Salem! Happy spring!