Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How and when do I pay for meals on my child’s account?

A: Meal accounts must be pre-paid. Please take advantage of the options to prepay your student’s meal account.

  • On-line at (service fee applies)
  • Bank Bill-Pay / checks can be mailed to: Food Services, PO BOX 150, Sugar City,ID 83448
  • Payment may be given to the secretary or the kitchen manager at your child’s school (If you have more than one child in the district, you can make a payment for all of your children at one school)

If sending cash or check payment with your student, please download and use the pre-formatted payment envelope located on the School Lunch page on the district website if possible. If not, please indicate on your check memo to whom and the amount of payment you wish to be applied.

We encourage students to make payments in their school office rather than in the lunch line in order to keep the line moving smoothly so each student has time to enjoy his/her meal.

Payments can be made in the Food Service office Monday – Thursday 8 a.m. till 4 p.m. and on Friday until 3 p.m. (25 N. Cutler Ave. Sugar City). Payments may also be dropped off anytime in the drop box located in the door of the Food Service building.

Q: Can funds be transferred between siblings?

A: Yes. Please contact us at 356-8802 option 1 and we will be happy to transfer funds between siblings for you.

Q: What happens if my child’s account becomes negative?

A: All enrolled students will be allowed to charge a maximum of $15. An alternate meal may be given to students who have exceeded the charge policy.

  • The alternate meal will be available for two (2) days.

Please monitor your student’s meal balance in Power School or by calling the Food Service office. Federal regulations prohibit us from telling a student that they have a low or negative balance as they go through the lunch line unless the student asks the cashier.

Q: What happens to my graduating student’s meal account balance?

A: At the end of the year graduating student account balances will be transferred to siblings if applicable.

  • Please contact us if you would like a refund check mailed to you. Account balances not requested by students who move from the district or graduate will be considered a donation to assist other families.

Q: Do I need to fill out a free / reduced application each year?

A: Yes

Q: Where do I obtain a free / reduced price meals application?

A: On-line applications are available on the school lunch page of the district website (On-line applications provide the most rapid processing of your application) (Paper applications may also be obtained at any of the school offices, food service office or the district office and returned to any school or dropped in the drop box located in the Food Service Office building door)

Q: Do I need to complete a separate application for each of my children?

A: No. Please complete one application per family.

This Institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Meal Charge Policy

The school meal program is federally funded by reimbursement from meals sold and revenue collected from paid meals. In order to maintain the financial stability of the program, meal charges must be limited.

The goals of this policy are:

  • To ensure that all students have access to nutritious meals and that no child goes hungry.
  • To treat all students with dignity and confidentiality in the serving line regarding meal accounts.
  • To support positive and clear communication among staff, students and parents.
  • To establish fair and consistent practices throughout the Child Nutrition Program.
  • To place the responsibility of meal payments on parents/guardians.

Responsibility for meal accounts

  1. The School Food Service Office is responsible for maintaining student meal accounts and notifying the parent/guardian of negative balances. Automatic emails will be sent notifying parents/guardians of low balances. Automatic calls will be sent to parents/guardians when an account reaches $-.01
  2. Parents/Guardians are responsible for timely payment to student meal accounts as well as monitoring student accounts to ensure the balance does not fall below $0.00.

Delinquent Accounts

  1. All enrolled students will be allowed to charge a maximum of $15.00
  2. If an account reaches -$15.00 an alternate meal may be offered for a maximum of two days.

Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

De acuerdo con la ley federal de derechos civiles y las normas y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de EE. UU. (USDA), esta institución tiene prohibido discriminar por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo (incluida la identidad de género y la orientación sexual), discapacidad, edad, o represalia o represalia por actividad anterior de derechos civiles.

La información del programa puede estar disponible en otros idiomas además del inglés. Las personas con discapacidades que requieran medios alternativos de comunicación para obtener información del programa (p. ej., Braille, letra grande, cinta de audio, lenguaje de señas estadounidense), deben comunicarse con la agencia estatal o local responsable que administra el programa o el Centro TARGET del USDA al (202) 720- 2600 (voz y TTY) o comuníquese con USDA a través del Servicio Federal de Retransmisión al (800) 877-8339.

Para presentar una queja por discriminación en el programa, el Demandante debe completar el Formulario AD-3027, Formulario de queja por discriminación en el programa del USDA, que se puede obtener en línea en: %20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, desde cualquier oficina del USDA, llamando al (866) 632-9992, o escribiendo una carta dirigida al USDA. La carta debe contener el nombre, la dirección, el número de teléfono y una descripción escrita de la supuesta acción discriminatoria del denunciante con suficiente detalle para informar al Subsecretario de Derechos Civiles (ASCR) sobre la naturaleza y la fecha de la supuesta violación de los derechos civiles. El formulario o carta AD-3027 completo debe enviarse al USDA antes de:

Departamento de Agricultura de EE. UU.
Oficina del Subsecretario de Derechos Civiles
1400 Avenida Independencia, SW
Washington, DC 20250-9410; o
(833) 256-1665 o (202) 690-7442; o

Esta institución es un proveedor de igualdad de oportunidades.